Monday, February 18, 2013

Episode 26


That night, long after Tom had dropped them back at the apartment, Kelsey was quietly reading through a new book she had recently bought on Lord Byron’s romantic poetry when she heard a firm, but soft, knock at the door.  She stood and answered it quickly – it was late and Aislinn and Caitlin were both in bed.  She pulled the door open and Tom was standing there, radiating suppressed urgency and intensity.  “Tom?” Kelsey asked, “is everything alright?  What are you doing here so late?”  He hesitated and took a deep breath before answering.
“I just…I just need to see you.  And talk to you.” Kelsey felt her heart drop down to her slippered feet.  This could not be good.
“Okaayy…” Kelsey said cautiously, “do you want to come in?”  He shook his head.
“How about we take a walk? It’s lovely out.”  She agreed, and they left the hotel, Kelsey still in her pajama pants.  They walked in silence for a little while, Kelsey’s heart slowly breaking.  She knew this was it.  Everything had been too good to be true, and now it was all going to end.  She fought to hold back the hot tears that threatened to escape her chocolate eyes.  They continued walking until they reached a small bench, where they both sat down. Tom didn’t seem to notice Kelsey’s distress as he turned to her and took both her hands in his.  He took a couple deep breaths.  “Kelsey.  I really like you.  I love to spend time with you.” Kelsey closed her eyes, refusing to fall into his stormy depths.  This was where the ‘but’ would come in, she knew. He continued, “And it’s crazy how much I care about you already!  I had to tell you how much you mean to me.  And I need to know if you feel the same way before I continue making a fool of myself.”  He fell silent and waited expectantly for Kelsey’s response to his declaration of like.  She had been listening intently, an inscrutable expression on her face, but now, her worst fears dying in the wake of her happiness, a smile burst onto her lips.  She pulled both her hands free and threw her arms around Tom’s neck.  He tensed at first, but then relaxed into the surprise embrace.
“What kind of a question is that?” she demanded, “you know that I am crazy about you as well!”  He let out the breath that he had been holding for what felt like forever.
“I am so relieved!” He said, sounding very sincere. “Thank you for putting my mind at rest.”  He walked her back to her room, both extremely happy with the night’s revelations.

No comments:

Post a Comment