Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Higher Law

Two scriptures really stood out to me in the reading for my Book of Mormon class this week – 3 Nephi 9:19-20.  It reads, “And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and burnt offerings. And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit….”  This is the voice of Christ speaking to the people in the Americas at the time of His ascension into the Spirit World.  He is establishing the higher law – His sacrifice is infinite and eternal, so He no longer requires the shedding of animal blood.  He has fulfilled every aspect of the lower law through His death, so this lesser law is now no longer needed.  The higher law now requires that we come to Christ with humility, faith, and repentance and beg for him to accept our offering and to redeem us from our fallen state.  I know that in my life, I am striving to develop this “broken heart and contrite spirit” so that I can come closer to my Savior and fully accept His teachings.  I know that if I do this, I will be blessed with greater faith and forgiveness of my many imperfections.  I am so grateful for this higher law that allows me to gain humility and become a better and more spiritually-aware person.  This scripture changed the entire structure of the church, and it can do the same for each of us in our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment