Friday, April 19, 2013

Episode 38


Kelsey stormed angrily around her hotel room, grabbing handfuls of unfolded clothing and stuffing them into the oversize suitcase sitting on the unmade bed.  She was furious.  He had lied to her.  Not even just by omission, but right to her face, no less!  Throwing the last of her possessions into her purse, she zipped up her suitcase and wheeled it out of the room and into the elevator, all in an impressive 15 minutes.  She bet that Tom was barely even out of the shower and probably had not yet read her break-up note, which suited her just fine. She would be perfectly happy if she was long gone before he had a chance to follow her.  She arrived safely all the way to the front of building and managed to hail a cab, the rain soaking through her thin sweater, before hurried footsteps sounded behind her and a hand grabbed her arm and tried to restrain her.  She nearly screamed words that cannot be repeated and yanked her arm out of Tom’s grasp.
“Don’t you dare touch me!” Kelsey spat, angry tears mingling with the heavy rain falling from the oppressively black sky as she spun to face him.  He looked hurt and concerned at the same time, but Kelsey refused to let that derail her righteous indignation.
“Can we please talk?” Tom pleaded, his eyes imploring hers, but she broke eye contact.
“No.  I’m leaving and I never want to see your dirty, lying face ever again.” She tossed over her shoulder as she picked up her suitcase that had fallen during their little tussle.  Tom was suddenly right behind her, brushing tendrils of wet red hair from Kelsey’s face.
“Please?  At least tell me why…”  Tom begged, gently, his fingers caressing her face.  She turned away sharply and his fingers stilled.
“You want to know why??”  Kelsey yelled hysterically, “I’ll tell you why!  You…and that woman…you lied to me!”  She was having trouble with coherence now but she didn’t care.  “Your phone…and the shower…lies…I’m not stupid, you know!”
“I know you aren’t stupid, Kelsey.  I just wanted you to not worry about me and Bridget, so I kept it secret. I realize now…” 
Kelsey cut him off.  “You should have realized sooner.  I would rather have worried.”  Her voice was now just cold and emotionless, tears still mixing with the icy rain.  “Goodbye.” She threw her suitcase into the cab and hopped in, leaving the heartbroken Tom standing alone with the black rain soaking his body.

No comments:

Post a Comment