Thursday, March 21, 2013

The First Step

This week in my Book of Mormon class we discussed the wickedness of the Nephites in Mormon 2.  Verse 13 reads, “But behold this my joy was vain, for their sorrowing was not unto repentance, because of the goodness of God; but it was rather he sorrowing of the damned, because the Lord would not always suffer them to take happiness in sin.”  This verse made Mormon very sorrowful, as he had believed that the people were going to repent of their sins and become a righteous people again.  He saw that they were poor in spirit and were mourning – the first two steps on the staircase to Christ.  However, the people had missed an important part of the first step.  In verse 14 it says that “they did not come unto Jesus with broken hearts and contrite spirits, but they did curse God and wish to die.”  The first step requires not only for the people to be poor in spirit, but also to come unto Christ.  This they did not do.  I connect this to my own life, as there will be times in my life where I am upset, but I have to remember to come unto Christ instead of just mourning and complaining alone.  I have to take this first step in order to progress and learn from my trials instead of merely enduring them.   This will lead me on the path to righteousness and development instead of sending me spiraling down into wickedness.  I know that as I come to Christ He will help me better myself and endure my trials with fortitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment