Saturday, January 19, 2013

Bio Credit


This semester I decided to get rid of my biology credit by taking “Living With Plants.”  As this is a Plant and Wildlife 100 class, I assumed that it would be the easiest of all the biology options.  I dislike biology as sort of a general rule.  Getting my textbook was exciting, as the book boasted that the readers required no prior knowledge at all to understand the concepts.  Everything for an easy class seemed to fall into place perfectly. Then reality hit.  Apparently the textbook expects us to either learn an average of three new and complicated vocabulary terms per sentence or just have had a biology background.  That was depressing, to say the least. Added to that, the class progresses so quickly that there is no chance to write down the information the professor presents (which is not represented on the PowerPoint slides, of course). We ‘learned’ every part of the plant cell in one class!  Way too fast for those without any sort of background in the subject.  One redeemable part of the class is that the professor is a wonderful person.  Sadly, that is not enough to appease my frustration.  In short, I at least have ruled out any major involving taking more than this single biology class.

No comments:

Post a Comment