Thursday, January 10, 2013

Signs (Friday's Class Post)


In the reading for my BYU Book of Mormon class this week we covered Alma chapters 30-35.  Among the many scriptures that spoke to me, Alma 32:19 really stood out.  It reads: “And now, how much more cursed is he that knoweth the will of God and doeth it not, than he that only believeth, or only hath cause to believe, and falleth into transgression?”  I have read this passage many times, but this time I actually paused and tried to really understand it.  The principle I learned was to do with God’s mercy to me and his other children.  One of the traits of humanity, especially in this modern age, is to ask for a sign that God is present in our lives. This scripture teaches that those who receive a sign and know of a surety the will of God and then do not obey are far more cursed than those who only have faith in God and succumb to temptation.  The prophets were so righteous that God likely felt confident in giving them witnesses of His existence because He knew that they were not prone to temptation and the curse that comes with their assured knowledge.  However, God’s infinite wisdom requires us to have faith so that if and when we do fall into transgression our curse will not be as bad as it could be.  This makes me so grateful that I have not received a sign every time I have asked for one. The scripture has also increased my faith in my Heavenly Father’s plan for me and His love and concern for me and my welfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment