Monday, January 7, 2013

About Me


My name is Caitlin Harvey.  I was born in British Columbia, Canada.  I lived there for 17.5 years.  At that point my father was offered a job as a software engineer with Amazon in Seattle, so our family moved in the middle of my senior year at high school. Since we moved countries, I would have been unable to graduate in America, so I Skyped some classes at my high school and completed others through a local online school.  My school only offered one AP course – AP Literature and Composition, on which I earned a 4. I feel prepared to write literary analyses, however I have never written research papers or papers longer than three pages.
It has always been my dream to come to BYU.  My mother completed a degree in communicative disorders at BYU and often told me about the amazing experience she had.  I am currently in my second semester here and I truly love the spiritual atmosphere and the wonderful people.  My roommates, especially, are fantastic.  We have become extremely good friends despite the short amount of time we have known each other.  
I started university thinking that I would be a chemistry major; however I quickly discovered that I disliked both physics and calculus.  As both are essential for that major, I decided to try something different.  I now am thinking of becoming a business major, maybe with an emphasis in organizational behavior or marketing.  I am currently trying some classes to see what I enjoy.
I love to play the piano.  I took lessons for almost ten years and became pretty good, however I finally quit because I prefer to play my selection of music over my instructor’s choices.  I also played the flute for about four years.  I loved playing in the school band, but I never enjoyed playing by myself so now I am very out of practice. My newly discovered passion is for ballroom dance.  I took a beginning class last semester to try it out and found that I liked it.  I am taking the next level this semester.
My family is super important to me.  I am really close to both my parents.  I have one younger brother named Curtis.  My father is one of twelve kids, so I have a large extended family.  We meet for family dinners quite often and also have family reunions every couple years.  My mother’s family is smaller.  She was born in South Africa and moved to Canada as a child.  Most of the extended family on her side still lives there so I do not know them.
I hope that this class will help me to improve my writing skills for future writing and research assignments.  Essays are not my strongest point and I look forward to learning how to enhance my knowledge. I plan on working to the best of my ability and rewriting all my papers until they reach their full potential. I’m looking forward to this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment